Friday, January 31, 2014

140.6

I've started this blog about 100 times. I don't even know what to say. I've tried to first, comprehend what I've actually signed up to do... (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mil run...all in one day...)
and second I've been processing the real reason WHY I am doing this.
I completely get why some people say I'm crazy...think it may be too much for me, or that I am just not "Ironman" material. I mean this is a huge commitment in itself and its also a huge challenge. Although I stay at home with my kiddos 5 out of the 7 days of the week, the time commitment in training alone is reason enough to NOT do this.
I will probably hurt, want to quit at times…most likely cry more than a handful of times and most definitely doubt my ability to do this. But the WHY behind this is what will keep me going.

This is why…
 
Denver. My first born. My compassionate, loving, caring, crazy and inquisitive little man. A little boy who has had more MRI's, check-ups, surgeries and perseverance in his 7 years of life than I have in my thirty-something years. This little boy (who will always be my baby) who has this disorder that at any given point in his life could grow a tumor... This child with a smile that lights up a room - who when he says he has a headache, I immediately pray that its just that...a headache, and not a tumor pressing on a nerve in his cute little noggin... I am doing this because it is all I can do. I am certainly not a scientist, and I'm never going to be the one to find a cure for NF - and I'm not a doctor either... So this is what I do. I will swim, I will bike and I will run...as far and as long as I possibly can to give him hope everyday that one day there will be a cure for NF. He will know that I have fought for him. That though I am probably the LEAST athletic person you know, I will work my booty off for him. He will know that though I HATE asking for help(call it proud, call it stubborn...) yet I have literally begged people to donate to The Children's Tumor Foundation in Denver's honor. He will know that I am doing all I can to help find a cure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Katy,
I'm so proud of you. You are an amazing woman and mom! My heart is cheering you on through your journey!

Unknown said...

So proud of you! We are cheering you on! The things we do for our children are selfless and endearing.